Tuesday 16 February 2010

Ray Mears sets the world to right



Having read that Anglers are currently working on a petition calling for canoeing and kayaking to be banned from Britain's rivers
, I thought now would be a good time to publish this quote from paragon of right, Ray Mears.

"Greg: It’s interesting to hear you say that. What is your impression of fishing in this country?


Ray: I get really irritated because they’re constantly having a pop at canoeists and that really irritates me because I’m a keen canoeist. I can’t understand it because everywhere else you go in the world canoeists are fishermen and fishermen are canoeists. What is the problem here? A canoe is a great way for a fisherman to access the waterways. For some reason anglers are up in arms. Canoes are very quiet, they’re silent the people who paddle them are incredibly sensitive to the environment and I would have thought that there was more in common between us, but for some reason we’ve got this silly situation which is largely due to financing access but I think we have to learn to be more tolerant of each other. I hope fishermen will come to have a better understanding of canoeists because it’s so suited to what we do it would be nice to think that these two different activities could learn to learn from each other."

Read the full article here:
http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/News--Catches/General-News/October-2008/Read-the-full-interview-with-Ray-Mears/

No comments:

Post a Comment