Thursday 10 December 2009

Castellated



cas·tel·lat·ed



(kst-ltd)

adj.
1. Furnished with turrets and battlements in the style of a castle.

2. Having a castle.

The sharp eyed may have spotted that there's another blog next to my name in my Blogger profile. For the last couple of months I've been quietly adding a whole heap of photographs, together with a few pithy quotes, to a new blog called 'Castellated'.

You see when I'm not eating, sleeping, watching TV or being a landscape architect, I quite like to visit old places; houses, gardens and in particular castles, and take photographs. I didn't have any particular purpose in doing this, until it occurred to me that I could put them into a blog, and hence 'Castellated' was born.

Like the blog, 'castellated' is a word that generally applies to castles, but it's also a word that I really like the sound of and would like to use in coversation more frequently (I'm also quite partial to the words tartiflette and caribou). Being a rather uncommon word, I had intended to start the blog with dictionary definition of it, but then something intersting happened. Googling 'castellated' not only came up with definition's of the word, but it also showed me a number of quotes from literature that featured the word. They all seemed to be by terrific authors and offered interesting little vignettes from their work. The first I read was from 'The Masque of the Red Death' by Edgar Allen Poe, and as I had just spent the day exploring a 'castellated abbey', I felt compelled to post it with my pictures.

When his dominions were half depopulated, he summoned to his presence a thousand hale and light-hearted friends from among the knights and dames of his court, and with these retired to the deep seclusion of one of his castellated abbeys.

Since then I've posted lots more photographs, but also more 'castellated' quotes that I've found and been amused by. The result is a quirky, but admitedly fairly ideosyncratic blog, that I've really enjoyed putting together. If any of this sounds interesting, please feel free to click on the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment